Released today, sanitiseWebroot.py simply reads the standard Webroot Secure Anywhere (WAS) “export to CSV” output, modifies the date fields to a more manageable formate and creates a new version of the dataset.
As I started life as a Linux server admin I’m only too aware that many attackers see remote access functionality as a way into a system, and as SSH is the de facto standard for Linux access it is a prime target for attack. The stats collected by DShield give an indication to the extent […]
Around a month ago Miguel Jacq got in contact to let me know about a couple of errors he encountered when running InfoSanity’s mimic-nepstats.py with a small data set. Basically if your log file did not include any submissions, or was for a period shorter than 24hours the script would crash out, not the biggest problem as most will be working with larger data sets but annoying non the less.
Amun has been running away quite happily in my lab since initial install. From a statistic perspective my wor has been made really easy as Miguel Cabrerizo has previously taken one of the InfoSanity statistic scripts written for Nepenthes and Dionaea and adapted it to parse Amun’s submission.log files. If you’re wanting to get an overview of submissions from another Amun sensor the script has been uploaded alongside the other InfoSanity resources and is available here.
InfoSanity’s honeyd-geoip.py script has been useful for analysing the initial findings from a HoneyD installation, but one of weaknesses identified in the geolocation database used by the script was that a large proportion of the source IP addresses connecting to the honeypot environment weren’t none within the database. Markus pointed me in the direction of the cymruwhois (discussed previously)python module as an alternative. I’ve re-written the initial script.
Since posting my Python whois class it’s lead to a (relatively) high volume of search hits pointing people to it. So I’d like to apologise for inflicting my code on other people. After a recent post with the honey-geoip.py script I was pointed in the direction Team Cymru’s whois service and accompanying python script.
Following on from my work with gathering statistics from the Honeypot systems that I run I have released a limited alpha of a new script/tool that I am working on. The tool provides access to common result sets from the sqlite database, without the requirement for remembering the database architecture and entering lengthy SQL statements by hand.
After too long away from the project I have been trying to implement some additional functionality to my submissions2stats script for parsing Nepenthes log files. Something that I’ve had in mind for a while is utilising Whois data to better analyse the source of the malware submissions.
I’ve spent the day adding some additional functionality to my GPS mapping proof of concept (original here). The second release, kismet2gmapstatic-0_2.py, changes the scripts output to wrap the Google maps API call in a self contained HTML page, and contains multiple map images to mitigate the URL length limit. The third release, kismet2gmapstatic-0_3.py, builds on […]
I’m still following my recent interest in wireless networks and devices. In the past month I gained a USB gps reciever (which I forgot to write about, may have a short review shortly). After adding gps capability to my wardrive setup I proceed to scan the local area, then hit a brick wall. There appears […]