Working my way through the compilation instructions from Dionaea whilst building up my latest sensor I was reminded of some optional functionality that I’d always intended to implement, but never found the time. First on my list was p0f (that’s a zero).
InfoSanity’s new Dionaea Muscipula….
arkus keeps adding great features and functionality to Dionaea, when I read the post introducing a new web interface carniwwwhore I couldn’t help thinking I’d got lucky timing, start of a weeks vacation and no real plan for what to do with it. I’ve struggled previously with some of my Dionaea setups, largely because my system was running Debian, whilst Dionaea was built under Ubuntu; doesn’t cause too many problems, just a bit of google-fu, headscratching and stupidity that could have been avoided. From this background I looked through the carniwwwhore pre-reqs with dread, plenty of version requirements that weren’t upto date with my Debian setup; so it’s time to bite the bullet and build a fresh system with Ubuntu.
I seem to keep making the same daft mistakes whilst updating Dionaea, so I’m hoping documenting the issues and corrections will work as a memory aid in the future.
Honeypot data visualisation from Dionaea with gnuplotsql.py.
Mercury Live DVD was initially (I believe) announced in a post to the Nepenthes Mailing list. It is a remastered Ubuntu distribution with pre-installed honeypot applications and malware analysis tools created by John Moore.
Around a month ago Miguel Jacq got in contact to let me know about a couple of errors he encountered when running InfoSanity’s mimic-nepstats.py with a small data set. Basically if your log file did not include any submissions, or was for a period shorter than 24hours the script would crash out, not the biggest problem as most will be working with larger data sets but annoying non the less.
As part of a new and improved environment I’ve just finished building up a new Dionaea system. Despite the ease at which I found the install of my original system I received a lot a feedback that others had a fair amount of difficulty during system build. So this time around I decided to pay closer attention to by progress to try and assist others going through the same process.
Earlier this week Markus released two anonymised data sets from live Dionaea installations. The full write-up and data sets can be found on the newly migrated carnivore.it news feed here. Perhaps unsurprisingly I couldn’t help but run the data through my statistics scripts to get a quick idea of what was seen by the sensors.
Following on from my work with gathering statistics from the Honeypot systems that I run I have released a limited alpha of a new script/tool that I am working on. The tool provides access to common result sets from the sqlite database, without the requirement for remembering the database architecture and entering lengthy SQL statements by hand.