As part of a new and improved environment I’ve just finished building up a new Dionaea system. Despite the ease at which I found the install of my original system I received a lot a feedback that others had a fair amount of difficulty during system build. So this time around I decided to pay closer attention to by progress to try and assist others going through the same process.
Since reading Virtual Honeypots I’ve been wanting to implement a HoneyD system, developed by Niels Provos. From it’s own site, HoneyD is a small daemon that creates virtual hosts on a network. The hosts can be configured to run arbitrary services, and their personality can be adapted so that they appear to be running certain operating systems. Honeyd enables a single host to claim multiple addresses – I have tested up to 65536 – on a LAN for network simulation. Honeyd improves cyber security by providing mechanisms for threat detection and assessment. It also deters adversaries by hiding real systems in the middle of virtual systems.
It took longer than I had wanted, but I have just finished reading through Virtual Honeypots: From Botnet Tracking to Intrusion Detection. The book is written by Niels Provos, creator of HoneyD (among other things) and Thorsten Holz. Given the authors I had high expectation when the delivery came through, thankfully it didn’t disappoint.
Well, the year is nearly over and it seems everyone is in a reflective mode so I thought I’d join in. And I’m glad I did, didn’t really just how turbulent year I’ve had.
I’ve recently been involved in a couple of discussions for different ways for identifying malware. One of the possibilities that has been brought up a couple of times is fuzzy hashing, intended to locate files based on similarities to known files.
Earlier this week Markus released two anonymised data sets from live Dionaea installations. The full write-up and data sets can be found on the newly migrated carnivore.it news feed here. Perhaps unsurprisingly I couldn’t help but run the data through my statistics scripts to get a quick idea of what was seen by the sensors.
I’ve been lax in writing up my initial experience with Glastopf. For those new to Glastopf, initially created by Lukas Rist as part of the Google summer of code program in collaboration with the Honeynet Project and Thorsten Holz.
Following on from my work with gathering statistics from the Honeypot systems that I run I have released a limited alpha of a new script/tool that I am working on. The tool provides access to common result sets from the sqlite database, without the requirement for remembering the database architecture and entering lengthy SQL statements by hand.
Last week I had the pleasure of being asked to speak at Northumbria University, presenting to students of the Computer Forensics and Ethical Hacking for Computer Security programmes. As I graduated from Northumbria a few years ago it was interesting to come back to see some familiar faces and have a look at how the […]
As I discussed in my last post about Dionaea I am really impressed with the improvements to logging capabilities over Nepenthes. I’ve now had a Dionaea system online for ~24hours, which while it isn’t enough data to draw any meaningful statistics, it has provided enough data to work on some new tools. I had been […]