As a security guy I find my paranoia levels are slightly high than most, a little something inside me picks up on things that general users miss that indicate that something isn’t right. This morning was no exception….
Running through my morning routine of catching up with email, twitter, etc. I came across this post showing Sequal7’s first hits on a Kippo installation. In addition to making amusing reading, it gave me a nudge to check back on the InfoSanity Kippo sensor.
Originally I wasn’t planning on reviewing this year, didn’t think that much had happened, but during some end of year house keeping came across the InfoSanity review of 2009 and wanted to keep the trend going. In keeping with last years review.
Working my way through the compilation instructions from Dionaea whilst building up my latest sensor I was reminded of some optional functionality that I’d always intended to implement, but never found the time. First on my list was p0f (that’s a zero).
InfoSanity’s new Dionaea Muscipula….
arkus keeps adding great features and functionality to Dionaea, when I read the post introducing a new web interface carniwwwhore I couldn’t help thinking I’d got lucky timing, start of a weeks vacation and no real plan for what to do with it. I’ve struggled previously with some of my Dionaea setups, largely because my system was running Debian, whilst Dionaea was built under Ubuntu; doesn’t cause too many problems, just a bit of google-fu, headscratching and stupidity that could have been avoided. From this background I looked through the carniwwwhore pre-reqs with dread, plenty of version requirements that weren’t upto date with my Debian setup; so it’s time to bite the bullet and build a fresh system with Ubuntu.
I’m sure by now most people are aware of a new round of scams where victims are being called by a ‘support company’ suggesting that the victim’s computer has malware installed which they can fix. If you need it, this BBC article covers the basics. Well, I just got the call 😉
I’ve tried messing around with SSH port forwarding in the past, but always struggled to get my head around what I was trying to connect to where, and ultimately didn’t result in anything useful. This time around I’ve put in some dedicated time to get to the bottom forwarding ports within SSH tunnels. And I’m glad I did, my with only a handful of connections the possibilities are making my head spin.
Implementing the BeerWare license into DokuWiki
Attacks against SSH services are regularly seen in the wild. Even if you follow best practices for securing the service, the malicious scans will utilise resources available to your environment; CPU, bandwidth etc. In sufficient volume legitimate operation may be impacted as the server rejects failed login attempts.
This is where utilities like Breakinguard come into their own. Basically Breakinguard monitors log files for signs of malicious activity, and once a single source has triggered enough alerts blocks all connections from the source location.